Home > SharePoint Problems/Issues > Error when trying to run SharePoint Products and Technology Configuration Wizard after patching SharePoint Server

Error when trying to run SharePoint Products and Technology Configuration Wizard after patching SharePoint Server

I recently ran into this problem when trying to patch MOSS 2007.  There was an IAVA patch that needed to be installed onto the SharePoint server to fix a MS10-039: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft SharePoint Could Allow Elevation of Privilage issue.
 
After installing the patch and attempting to run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard (this needs to be ran after installing SharePoint patches) the wizard was failing on Step 8 of 9 during the updating of SharePoint Technologies and Configuration step.  The error I was receiving:
 
“Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException” with a link to the error log.
 
After checking the error log and the Update.log (located at c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\webserver extentions\12\Logs\Update.log)
 
I was seeing errors like this:
 
Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUgrade Exception thrown
CanUpgrade SearchSharedDatabase SharedServices1_Search_DB
Cannot Open database SharedServices1_Search_DB
ReflexiveUpdate SharePoint_Confi failed
System.ServiceProcess.TimeOutException was thrown
System.ServiceProcess.TimeOutException
System.Data.SqlCient.SqlInteral Connection.OnError
 
Since I was unable to complete the SharePoint Products and Technoligies Configuration Wizard this “broke” SharePoint and I was unable to browse or bring the portal back online.
 
What happens is after installing a SharePoint patch you need to update the SharePoint_Config database with the update (This is why you run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard).  If the SharePoint_Config database is not updated with the updated patch the schema on both the SharePoint Server and the SharePoint_Config database do not match which breaks SharePoint.
 
After checking the server event logs I was seeing this error:
 
“The Schema Version 3.0.149.0 of the database is not consistant with the expected database schema version 3.0.151.0.  Connections to this database from the server have been blocked to avoid data loss, upgrade the web front end or the content database to ensure that these versions match.”
 
Since i’m familiar with this error I knew to run the (psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait force) command on the SharePoint Server to update the schema.  To run this command: 
 
1.  Start -> run -> cmd
2.  At the command prompt browse to:
C:\Program Files\common files\web server extensions\12\bin
3.  Once at the C:\Program Files\common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin
directory run this command:
psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait force
4.  This will upgrade the database schema on the Sharepoint server with the SQL server.
5.  If everything is successful you should now beable to browse to the portal.
 
However in this case the psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait force was failing on Step 4.
At this time I started scratching my head.  After many hours of trouble shooting and doing research I was still unable to run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard successfully.  I then ran into an article about running the provisionservice action to unprovision a service so that the psconfig can complete.
 
Since the problem according to the error and upload logs was with the SharedServices1_Search_DB  I had to run the unprovision on the Search services to stop it.
 
To run the provisionservice action command:
 
1.  Start -> run -> cmd
2.  At the command prompt browse to:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extentions\12\bin
3.  Once at this directory run this command:
stsadm.exe -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype “” -servicename “”
For this problem I had to run:
stsadm.exe -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype ‘Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchService, Microsoft.SharePoint.Search, Version=12.0.0.0,Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” -servicename spsearch
 
This unprovisioned the SPSearch service so that the psconfig can complete.  Don’t ask why this needs to be done.  I have no clue.
 
After running the provisionservice command, attempt to run the psconfig command once again.
 
This time the psconfig should complete with all steps successfully.  You should then now be able to browse and bring back the portal.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: