Home > SharePoint 2010, SharePoint Administration > Fixing Error: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object UserProfileApplication Name=User Profile Service Application was updated by [farm admin id], in the OWSTIMER (ID) process, on machine [machine name]. View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
  1. Dmitry
    November 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Great stuff, thank you. Saved a day!

2. Austin Gainey
    April 16, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Thank you for the post. I have one question. Inside the folder with all the xml files I also see some files with .TMP as the file type. Do I delete those as well or only delete the xml files and change value inside cache.ini file? thanks for any response I have been pulling my hair out trying to delete the user profile serv app. Also my environment is sharepoint server 2013.

• April 16, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi Austin, its safe to delete the .TMP files. Sometimes you might not be able to, but if you can, then yes no harm in deleting those as well. Good luck, UPS is a pain.

• Austin Gainey
        April 16, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for the quick response. One more question, in theory should I be able to delete the service application from the UI after this is done?

• April 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Hi Austin,

In theory you should be able to delete the UPS Service Application even without having to do this. What happens when you try to delete?

• Austin Gainey
        April 16, 2014 at 2:14 pm

well I am having the same issue you were, were the status is constantly saying “stopping” even though the actual service under “manage services on this server” is started. When I try to delete the service application via central adminitration it gives me the owstimer error above like you got. When I stop the sync service via powershell it just says “unprovisioned”. It also says a synchronization is running even though nothing is active in the monitoring section. I also can’t disable the job as it thinks it is still running.

3. April 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm

But if you are receiving this same error, then doing this should help delete it yes

4. Austin Gainey
    April 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm

ok awesome thanks.

5. Austin Gainey
    April 17, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Jshidell, it worked thanks a heap man!

• April 17, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Glad you were able to get your problem fix. Glad I was able to help out.

6. July 8, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Great, this error still pops up in SharePoint 2013 and the fix works like a charm! Thanks a lot

7. February 1, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Thanks, helped me a lot.

8. Jeff E
    December 13, 2016 at 7:17 pm

This is nothing short of amazing!! Worked like a charm, and thank you!! If I could buy you beer, I’d buy you 10.

All the best!