Home > SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2010 Maintenance > Fixing: One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to List settings page to delete these fields.

Fixing: One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to List settings page to delete these fields.

Recently I ran into this error “One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to List settings page to delete these fields” when trying to access one of the migrated sites after having migrated from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 doing a direct DB attachment (upgrade). 

This sometimes happens with a direct db attachment upgrade, and the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure conflict with the internal list called Relationship List.  When the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure is activated it creates this hidden list automatically.  This list is hidden and can be accessed by going to this URL: http://portalsite/relationships%20list/allitems.aspx.  What happens here since the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastruture feature is already activated in the SP2007 enviornment and then moved over to SP2010 via DB attachment there is a conflict with a column in that list called GroupGuid.  In SharePoint 2007 the column name is GroupId and is type text, and is changed in SharePoint 2010 to GroupGuid with the same type text.  For whatever reason this column type is not updated when migrated over.  This column type needs to be set at GUID not text.  Since there is no way within SharePoint to create a column with a GUID type the best way to fix the problem is to delete this list and have it automatically re-created.  To successfully delete this list follow these steps.

1.  Go to Site Actions, Site Settings and Site Collection features under Site Collection Administration.
2.  Deactivate the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature
3.  Go back to http://portalsite/relationships%20list/allitems.aspx
4.  Go to List, List Settings and Delete this list (If the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature is not deactivated this option will not be visable)
5.  After deleting the list go back to Site Actions, Site Settings, and Site Collection features
6.  Activate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature (Note: If you recieve this error:

Column Limit Exceeded.

There are too many columns of the specified data type. Please delete some other columns first. Note that some column types like numbers and currency use the same data type.

 when trying to reactivate this feature read this blog  posting –http://jshidell.com/2013/01/28/fixing-cannot-activate-sharepoint-2010-publishing-infrastructure-feature-column-limit-exceeded/ )

7.  The SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature will automatically recreate the list.

Go back to http://portalsite/relationship%20list/allitems.aspx and varify that the column GroupGuid now has a column of type GUID instead of text.

Now go back to the site you were trying to access and you should no loger get that error message “One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to List settings page to delete these fields”

Advertisements
  1. Kate
    March 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm

    I love this post so much, I want to marry it. Fixed the error like a charm.

  2. May 6, 2014 at 6:15 pm

    Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to
    your blog? My blog site is in the very same area
    of interest as yours and my users would genuinely benefit
    from a lot of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!

  3. June 4, 2015 at 5:13 pm

    This article was very helpful. I couldn’t restart the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature because of an issue with duplicate site content types. It kept spitting out an error, saying that “Resource” already existed. With the help of a Microsoft technician, we identified the problem and then simply renamed a content type to “Resource1.” This was located at Site Settings -> Site Content Types under the Group Work Content Types. We then activated the feature and it worked!

    FYI, do this off hours. The process broke my site until we could get the content type renamed, and restart the feature to rebuild that Relationships List. Ooops.

  4. January 25, 2016 at 5:39 am

    This still doesn’t solves my issue. I am getting the same error again 😦

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: