Archive

Archive for January, 2016

SharePoint 2010: Getting Claims Authentication Working with Windows Server 2012 SP2

January 14, 2016 Leave a comment

When configuring a new SharePoint 2010 Web Application with Claims Based Authentication in a Windows Server 2012 SP2 Platform I ran into some issues authenticating to the site.  Every time I tried to access the site I would be prompted for authentication even though I granted my account full control at the Web Application User Policy level.  I only ran into this issue with Claims Based Authentication activated at the Web Application level on Windows Server 2012 SP2, not on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 platform.  Windows Auth worked fine on both.  For me to resolve this issue I had to update the web.config file for that Web Application for AllowAnonymousImpersonation on each WFE.  This value needs to be set to false.

  1. On each SharePoint 2010 WFE Server open up the web.config file for the Web Application.  (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\web application)
  2. Do a cntrl+f and type in AllowAnonymous to find the <add key=”aspnet:AllowAnonymousImpersonation” value=”$true” />
  3. Change the value from $true to $false
  4. Save the web.config file
  5. Try to access your site again.

If you run into problems as I did try the steps above to help resolve the issue